Acupuncture and Cancer
By Are S. Thoresen DVM
Veterinarian acupuncturist homeopath osteopath agronomist
From a holistic viewpoint, one evaluates the Processes that control a cancerous tumour to be totally normal, even healthy. The normal biological activity is for a cell to grow and multiply. For many animals and plants this process continues throughout life. It is only in the case of highly developed animals that growth and cell division stop at a certain age. It is likewise in these species that cancer becomes a “normal” illness. If growth processes continue throughout life, cancer (uncontrolled processes) occur to a much smaller degree. The controlling Processes begin to play a more active role when growth is about to stop. They impede physical development. These controlling Processes are, to an increasing degree, present the more developed the individual is; they reach their maximum in mammals. If these controlling Processes fail in their function, growth processes regain dominance and cancerous tumours can arise.
Many reasons explain the failure of the controlling Processes. Day after day the Processes that control all cellular and bodily functions are stressed constantly. In addition to the (External) Stressors and stimuli that adversely influence living organisms, the stressors include shock, strain on the psyche, bombardment with unwanted sounds, visual impressions, additives and electromagnetic influences (high voltage cables, geopathic stress, etc). These stressors can lead to strain on, or loss of dominance of, the Processes and especially immune function.
The aim of all cancer therapy must be to help the patient to regain this dominance and restore control of the Processes, especially of the immune system. That system is critical for good health. Time after time many methods from meditation to more or less vegetarian diets have been developed to reestablish control.
We must not underestimate the importance of the attempts of conventional medicine to find methods to hamper or kill cancer cells, even if these methods usually attack the symptoms more than the cause.
In holistic medicine it is most important to stimulate the body's controlling Processes.
The idea is to “bring control” to the growth processes, otherwise they become uncontrolled, which is the basic problem with cancerous cells. If we stimulate the wrong Processes we may aggravate the disorder by stimulating tumour growth. In my opinion, working via the Ko Cycle (Controlling) is the best way to stimulate the controlling Processes of the body (See also page 00).
Treatment of Patients Suffering from Cancer.
First, we must make a Channel Diagnosis, either via Pulse Diagnosis, or by a simple observation of where the tumour has arisen. When the patient suffer from cancer it is very important to decide where the location of the lesion is. This will indicate the Channel that has lost it's control. Let us take mammary cancer as an example. It manifests on ST Channel. We must particularly avoid stimulating ST Channel, but we should stimulate LV, the Ko Controlling Channel of ST (the father of ST). For this, we could use the Ting (Wood) Point (LV01), or Earth Point (LV03). Better is to find and stimulate the ECIWO-point (Embryo Containing Information of the Whole Organism) that is to be found along one of the metacarpal- or metatarsal bones, alomg the pathway of the meridian in question.
Figure 64; illustration of one of the ECIWO-systems that may be used in the attempt to stimulate the body to fight against the cancer disease.
We should stimulate only the Ko (Controlling) Father Channel, not for example the Ko (Controlling) Point of ST itself. During the period of treatment, we should stimulate no other Channel or Process. However, we may combine other therapies that stimulate LV.
I have tried this method over several years. Following my instructions, several colleagues in the US of A and Australia have tried it. The results have been very encouraging. Between 0-90% (depending on the organ or tissue of origin) of confirmed cancer cases have improved noticeably. The improvements included increased quality of life, better sleep, increased appetite and a glossier coat. Overall 0-90% (depending on the organ or tissue of origin) have been totally cured of the illness. Tumour(s) have, in such cases, vanished within a few weeks. Two examples:
- The first patient in which I tried this method was a Dachshund. It had mammary cancer (ST, Earth) and probably lung metastases. I treated the mammary ECIWO-point on the LV-meridian. Within a few weeks the tumours were almost gone. Guess who was more amazed, the dog, the owner or I?!
- In liver tumours we must stimulate only LU Channel (Metal Controls Wood). This activates the body's adaptive / homeostatic / immune control system, so that the body itself can bring the cancerous tumours under control. If we succeed in this, the active tumour tissue shrivels within a few days and disappears within a few months. If there is considerable fibrosis of the area, the fibrous tissue remains permanently, as is true for scars elsewhere.
Sour (acidic, vinegar-like) food boost our attempted treatment of all cancers, regardless of which Channel we wish to stimulate. It seems that a more acidic diet boosts the Ko (controlling) Process in general (acid = Yang = control). Foods such as sour milk and sauerkraut* (a German form of sour cabbage) often are included in the diet of cancer patients. In this regard, it is interesting to discuss a method developed by Dr. Malchaire from Liege. He used a system of amino acids to control the Channels:
* Sauerkraut is cabbage fermented by lactic acid bacteria. This is different from the Norwegian version, made by pickling cabbage in vinegar and sugar.
Summary of the amino acids to strengthen the control of the various Channels
* responsible for aggressiveness in Pit Bull terriers.
The amino acids listed above have a directly controlling effect. When it is indicated that glycine, isoleucine, threonine and methionine control LV, they are used as a dietary supplement in cases of liver tumour.
The dosage is 1 g/day; it can be bought at any pharmacy.
We can use homeopathic medicine in addition to stimulating an individual Channel with needles. For each Channel there is a main homeopathic preparation that can be given simultaneously during stimulation of the specific Channel.
Table of the homeopathic remedies used in organ or Channel-related tumours or cancer;
The homeopathic remedies used.
It is difficult and controversial to write about cancer, a disease that causes so much pain, anxiety and that has many taboos. However, it would be negligent not to touch on this subject when I see how a cancerous tumour, malignant or benign, can totally disappear within weeks after use of the correct treatment. Also, even in cases in which holistic methods fail to help the body to halt or cure the physical cancer, they can help many patients to attain a better psychological and spiritual status and to have a better quality of life in their remaining months or years.
Summary of my treatment of patients suffering from cancer
- Remember that you do not treat the cancer, only the deficient process that has allowed the cancer to develop.
- It is always the father process that has failed his son. The father is always for;
- Heart, Pericardium, Small Intestine and Trippel Heather the KIDNEY
- Spleen and Stomach the LIVER
- Lung and Large Intestine the HEART or PERICARDIUM
- Kidney and Bladder the SPLEEN or the HEART or PERICARDIUM
- Liver and Gall Bladder the LUNG
- Treat the father meridian, which at the time of the onset of the cancer/tumor was the deficient one.
- The point to be chosen is the actual ECIWO-point, as described under ECIWO-biology (see page 00)
- Treat the point every month, until the tumor has stopped growing or is completely disappeared.
Interim Clinical Results on Acupuncture in Cancer-Treatment, notes from my Casebook
On the request of Dr. Med. Ottestad, Chief Medical Officer of the mammary cancer department at the Radium Hospital of Norway, I carefully noted and measured all human patients during a certain time span; April 22nd 2003 and January 26th 2004; they were not “cherry-picked” to show the best outcomes. These notes are the foundation of table 90 and 91. The human patients were diagnosed by their doctor and I have just accepted the diagnosis. All patients have been followed up until 31.12.2009 (or until they died).
Important is to note that in this investigation I had still not found the ECIWO system, so only the acupuncture points were used (except in breast/mammary cancer, where I unknowingly already had found the ECIWO-point for the breast/mamma.
Summary of my treatment protocols and their interim outcomes in humans
Summary of my treatment protocols and their interim outcomes in animals
Summary of my treatment protocols and their interim outcomes in 34 patients (all patients during one year)
Changes in the blood after the described treatment. Identification and isolation of pharmacopotential bioactive peptides from the human body and their preliminary application against breast cancer.
With the help of Sergio Manzetti, I have shown and detected 12 bioactive peptides with strong anti-cancer activity. The peptides were isolated from the blood of a human patient with breast cancer treated by acupuncture, re-synthesized and tested against several breast cancer cell types, 1 colon cancer cell type, a prostate cancer cell type and a healthy-cell line model. The effect of the peptides resulted to 100% cell death on the most common breast cancer cell type, MCF7, after 96 hours. The speed of cell-death was shown to be equivalent to other drugs as Tamoxifen and Doxorubicin, however differing from Doxorubicin and Tamoxifen which are highly toxic and extinguished 87% percent of the healthy cell line model, the peptides seemed to stimulate slightly the growth of the healthy cell lines and induce, not harm them. The peptides were recently tested on the common MCF7 cell line in nude mice models, and showed to induce a linear cell-death signal. The relationship between the cell tests and the mice tests suggests that the peptides have a full cell-death effect on MCF7 cells which however needs to be protected against the immune system of a multicellular organism. The protective method of PEG-modulation is under testing on mice, and will, as expected from other studies performed with PEG, prolong the half-life of the peptides in circulation, and thereby induce stronger cell-death signal to function as a complete pharmacoactive agent.
Sample results and peptides found in the patient
The acupuncture stimulus of the patient yielded a pair of samples, where samples A from before acupuncture had half the amount of peptides than sample B from after acupuncture. This instigated not only the rapid effect of generation of changes in the blood after only 60 seconds of acupuncture stimulus, but also a myriad of potential peptides responsible for the internal response to the acupuncture. The key to the isolation process was a sequential choosing of crucial factors that where not only statistically probable of being in the sample of the diseased woman, but also to be related to some known factors, such as Tumour Necrosis Growth factor as an example. Out of the 70-110 peptides resulting from two different identification method, 12 were chosen based on their statistical probability of being present in the blood. The probability ranged from 95%-90% for 11 of these, and 72% for one particular. The common theme of all the peptides found was that they were fragments of proteins, suggesting a mechanism of generation of potential “medical” peptides from existing proteins in circulation.
Many of the peptides found turned out to be related to cell-cycle regulation proteins. The proteins involved in cell-cycle up and down-regulate cell-growth and play key roles in daily maintenance and control of the organisms’ adaptation to internal and external changes. Table 94 illustrates the origin of the 12 peptides.
List of parent proteins of the 12 peptides originating from subject treated by acupuncture.
Cytostatic effects on cancer cells
The 12 peptides were tested at Molecular Imaging Laboratories, Ann Arbor, MI, USA. The peptides effect was focused on the most common breast cancer cell type, MCF7. The MCF7 cell line originates from a patient that had breast cancer with spreading to the lungs and bones and is a common cell type to test both commercial and experimental drugs on. The peptides were synthesized at the Biomedical Genomic Centre at the University of Minnesota and shipped to MIR for testing. At MIR laboratories the peptides were mixed in an equal dose into a complete mixture, to simulate the acupuncture stimulus, and prepared for application on the cell-plates.
The cell-death effect of the peptides has been observed already within the first 24 hours (as seen from results from earlier tests at the University of Massachusetts) to be even faster than the common drug Tamoxifen. After 96 hours of daily doses the breast cancer cells are 100% extinguished (see Fig 1). The effect of the peptide mixture I denoted to have an IC50 of 70. This number delineates its potency. The effect was observed as a hyperbolic curve, where the highest concentrations give the fastest effect of cancer-cell death.
The effect of the 12 peptides shows also another positive aspect, it spares healthy cell lines, in vitro.The peptides were tested at the University of Nottingham on a healthy cell line, and shown not to harm its growth (see Fig 2). So simultaneously as the peptide mixture kills 100% of breast cancer cells MCF7, its saves the healthy cell from its killing effect. The potential drug is therefore appearing as selective, and may be related to its origin from the body, resulting from a stimulus of acupuncture.
Cytostatic Effects on Mice Models
The twelve peptides were pilot-tested against an implanted MCF7 tumour in mice at Molecular Imaging Laboratories in September 08. The peptides’ chemical structure was in this experiment in unprotected and natural state, which is a regular form to test for efficiency first. Once the results of the peptides in a natural state are interpreted, their effect can be eventually increased by adding a chemical protection.
The mice were injected with three doses of peptides, 20mg/kg, 40mg/kg and 80mg/kg peptide. The injection was given daily for a period of 21 days and the effect was visible; the highest dose gave the strongest cancer-growth retardation, the middle dose gave a lower cancer growth-retardation and the lowest dose gave the weakest anti-cancer effect. The results show that the peptides have a preserved effect in mice which follows a dose-dependent scheme. Additionally, the results show that the peptides act strongest through the blood and not when injected directly in the tumour. However, the potency of the effect must be strengthened and the central option is to prolong their endurance in circulation. The method for doing this is through a so-called PEG-ligation technology. Our contractor, Cresalus Inc, Kentucky USA, has, in early February, completed the synthesis of 240 mg of PEG-protected peptides. Molecular Imaging Laboratories are initiating the testing of PEG peptides on mice in the middle of February and results are awaited by the beginning of March 09.
As known in western medicine and science, a cancerous condition is an uncontrolled state where the cell cycle has lost control and shows continuous progression forming an independent unit, or a tumor. Specifically, causes for this are lack of control at the genetic level, proteomic or cellular level. Each of these levels finds examples in the literature; at the genetic level mutations in the p53 promoter yield deficient expression of the p53 product thereby leading to uncontrolled transition between the G and S - phases. At the proteomic level, mutations in the p53 gene yield a deficient protein which inefficiently binds to the suppressor and cannot manage to “silence” the S - phase of the cell. Recent evidence suggests also that cancer is inducible at the cellular level, through oncovirii, as the Human T-cell Leukaemia/Lymphotropic virus type 1.
Properly used by people trained in the basic principles of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), this protocol has few, if any, adverse effects. It is based on the following principles:
- The normal biological activity of bodily cells is to grow and multiply in an orderly, controlled way. For many animals and plants this process continues throughout life. It is only in the case of highly developed animals that growth and cell division stop at a certain age. It is likewise in these species that cancer becomes a “normal” illness.
- Holistic clinicians evaluate the Controlling Processes (CPs) - those that control, or limit, the growth and lifespan of cancerous cells - to be totally normal and essential for health. If growth processes continue throughout life in a controlled way, cancer (uncontrolled processes) occurs to a much smaller degree. The CPs begin to play a more active role when growth is about to stop. They impede further physical development. The higher up the evolutionary tree a species is, the more important normal functioning of these CPs becomes; their importance is maximal in mammals. If the function of the CPs fails, growth processes regain dominance; the cells survive past their normal time to die and cancerous tumours arise.
- Many reasons explain functional failure of the CPs. Constant wear-and-tear and attempts to adapt to day-to-day changes in external and internal environment stress the CPs of all cellular and bodily functions constantly. In addition to the (external) stressors and stimuli that adversely influence living organisms, the stressors include shock, strain on the psyche, bombardment with unwanted sounds, visual impressions, additives and electromagnetic influences (high voltage cables, geopathic stress, etc). These stressors can lead to strain on, or loss of dominance of, the CPs, and especially normal functioning of the immune system.
- The aim of effective cancer therapy and prevention must be to help the patient to maintain the dominance of, or restore the lost function of, the CPs, especially of the immune system. By preventing or limiting immunomediated diseases, including autoimmune diseases and cancer, the immune system is critical for good health. Many methods, from meditation to more or less vegetarian diets, have been developed to re-establish the essential functions of the CPs. But in my experience, the most effective of all is to use the Ko-Cycle, the body’s own processes to restore control.
Thus, the primary aim, the most important function, of holistic medicine is to stimulate the body's own control mechanisms.
- The idea is to “bring control” to cellular growth- and lifespan-processes, otherwise they become uncontrolled, which is the basic problem with cancerous cells.
- If we stimulate the wrong processes, in this case the nourishing process, we may aggravate the disorder by stimulating tumour growth.
From the summary of the results, it is impossible to make any solid claims, as the number of patients are too few and the additional factors are too unpredictable and uncontrolled.
Some of the individual results are, however, so astonishing and unexpected that they must not go unobserved by the medical community. The overall results indicate that it might be worth trying the described method, and that it needs further investigation.
One thing is especially interesting. I have treated, during the time span mentioned, 5 dogs with mamma-tumors of different malignity, and 2 women with a special type of aggressive mammacarsinoma. All these patients did not receive any other treatment but acupuncture. In all 7 cases the development of the tumor/cancer was positive, and the cancer disappeared.